Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Games and Movies

I like to game. I play pencil and dice RPGs and I play video games on Playstation 2 and some Computer games. I like movies. Movies made about games, though are usually check your brain at the door and enjoy the slugfest events. That is okay, they are entertaining for a few hours and I don't expect anything more.

That being said, most anyone who likes the pencil and dice type of RPG should check out the independent flick The Gamers. It is a Dead Gentlemen Production.
http://gamers.deadgentlemen.com/

I was expecting the same schlock as the Movies Dungeons and Dragons, or Street Fighter, only with no budget, light entertainment and then forget about it. Boy was I wrong. It is a clever little movie, only about 45 minutes long, that could only have been written by someone who plays the game. Or maybe someone who loves someone who plays the game. If you don't play Role Playing Games, I'm not sure if you would like this movie or not.

The movie follows 4 gamers, their dungeon master, an absentee gamer, and a random annoyed fellow tenant of a dorm building. Except for that random annoyed fellow tenant, I have played in that game. I think most people who have gamed, have been in that game, or some version thereof. The movie switches between the table where the players sit and the game world as imagined by the players and the dungeon master.

Some friends showed me the movie. I loved it and borrowed it. I showed it to some more friends. We dusted off our books, went to the local comic book/gaming store, visited the Wizards of the Coast website, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome and we have 2 campaigns going now. That way the other DM and I both have a chance to play. Not only am I working on the current campaign, I'm taking notes for future campaigns.

1 comment:

lori said...

Cool! Having been an avid pencil/dice gamer myself, I'm going to have to check that movie out.